Monday, January 22, 2007

BEGAN Part 3

BEGAN

Here is day 3, today I will cover just 1 letter, though it is not very long. Tomorrow I will post the last blog on the word, or perhaps better said, the work BEGAN. Again, please keep in mind that these blogs in particular, are purely specualtion. The stories come from church history, Fox Book of Martyrs, a book called Jesus Freaks, and my own memories. Enjoy, and please leave me a comment on what you think!! So far it looks like many have read these blogs, but none have posted any comments. Hopefully you folks don't think I have crossed the line on these blogs. If so, let me know!

Thanks, Jim

Acts 1:1
"In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus BEGAN to do and to teach"

From the letter "g" the quill in Luke's hand moved next to the letter "a". As he wrote, I wonder if perhaps God may have closed His eyes and traveled into the future to the 16th century Scotland to the Abbey Church. On this particular day, George Wishart was surrounded by a virtual army. As they marched him up the steps to the Abbey Church, he paused briefly, and tossed his purse of money to a poor sick man laying on the steps. The doors of the church flung open and George was marched in to the front. The Cardinal, Dane John Vinryme, preached a sermon prepared especially for the ears of George Wishart. After the sermon, John Loader read a lengthy roll of eighteen charges against George. As he read, his anger increased so greatly that by the time he finished, sweat ran down his face and foam poured out of his mouth. Shortly afterwards, he was condemned to be executed by hanging and burning.

On the morning of his burning they put a black linen coat on him and tied several bags of gun powder to various parts of his body. They lead him to the stake with rope tied around his neck. Again he was surrounded by a virtual army with loaded weapons, ready to shoot any who interfered. At the stake, he fell to his knees and three times prayed, "O thou Savior of the world, have mercy on me. Father of Heaven, I commend my spirit into Thy Holy Hands. I beseech Thee, Father of Heaven, forgive them that have lied against me. I forgive them with all my heart. I ask Christ to forgive them, who out of ignorance, have condemned me." Then he turned to the people gathered there and said, "For the Word's sake and the true Gospel, which was given to me by the grace of God, I will suffer this day at the hands of men; not sorrowfully, but with a glad heart. For this cause I was sent, that I should suffer this for Christ's sake. Watch my face closely. You will not see me change color, for I do not fear this grim fire. I know surely that my soul shall dine this night with my Savior Christ. Upon hearing this, the hangman knelt before Wishart and said, "Sir, please forgive me, for I am not guilty of your death." Wishart replied, "Come here to me." When he did, Wishart kissed him on the cheek and said, "This is proof that I forgive you, my beloved. Do your work.."

Could it be that God's eyes were on the Abbey Church on George Wishart as Luke penned the letter "a"?

No comments: